Guinness Storehouse Dublin


Guinness Storehouse Dublin, Guinness history, Guinness family, pint of Guinness

Guinness is as famous as the Island of Ireland; the Guinness tradition has survived through many turbulent events in Ireland’s long and often volatile history. Guinness is above all else an example of Ireland’s ability to produce world class products and services, a small Island that knows the value of customer service, be that on a global stage or more domestic frontage. The combination of quality locally sourced produce and home brewed Guinness from locally grown materials, makes Ireland a rich source of good living, and a destination for those people who enjoy quality food and drink.

Accommodation  Pubs  Eating-Out   Tours  Theatre  Movies


1759 Arthur Guinness, aged 34, signed a 9,000-year lease on a disused brewery at St. James’s Gate, Dublin for an annual rent of £45.

1769 The first export shipment of six and a half barrels of Guinness stout left Dublin on a sailing vessel bound for England.

1775 Dublin Corporation sheriff sent to cut off and fill in the water course from which the Brewery drew its free water supplies. Arthur defended his water by threatening the party with a pickaxe.

1801 First record of brewing of Guinness variant West India Porter – made with higher hop rate to withstand long sea journeys (hops are natural preservative). Precursor of modern day Guinness Foreign Extra Stout.

1803 Arthur Guinness died aged 78 and his son, Arthur Guinness II, took over the Brewery.

Accommodation  Pubs  Eating-Out   Tours  Theatre  Movies

1815 Guinness well known on the Continent – legend states that Guinness aided the recovery of a cavalry officer wounded at Battle of Waterloo.

1821 Arthur Guinness II set down precise instructions for brewing a beer known as Guinness Extra Superior Porter – the precursor of today’s Guinness Original (known as Guinness Original in UK only, otherwise Guinness Extra Stout in Ireland and US)

1824 Guinness well known worldwide, first known advertisement printed in a

Dublin newspaper for “Guinness’s East and West India Porter”.

1833 Brewery became the largest brewery in Ireland

1850s Sir Benjamin Lee Guinness, son of Arthur Guinness II, took over the Brewery on the death of his father. Sir Benjamin Lee became a Member of Parliament for Dublin City and also served as Lord Mayor of Dublin.

Among his charitable deeds, he contributed £150,000 towards the restoration of St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Dublin.

1862 Guinness trademark label was introduced – a buff oval label with the harp and Arthur Guinness’ signature. The Harp was registered as a trademark in 1876.

1868 Benjamin Lee Guinness died and his son Edward Cecil took over the Brewery.

1869 Under Edward Cecil, the size of the Brewery doubled to over 50 acres and spread north to bound the river Liffey to accommodate new Brewery buildings linked by an internal railway system.

1886 Guinness became the first major brewery to be incorporated as a public company on the London Stock Exchange. It was the largest brewery in the world with an annual production of 1.2 million barrels.

1893 Robert Louis Stevenson brought supplies of Guinness to Western Samoa and wrote about drinking a pint while recovering from influenza.

1890s Edward Cecil appointed the first Lord of Iveagh and established the Guinness and Iveagh Trusts to provide homes for the poor in Dublin and London. He made substantial contributions to Trinity College Dublin and Dublin hospitals. His brother Arthur landscaped St. Stephen’s Green,

Dublin and gave it as a gift to the public. 1898 “World traveller” appointed to report on quality and sales of Guinness in overseas markets in North and South America, Africa, Far East and Australia.

1909 Guinness brought to the frozen wastes of the South Pole. Sir Douglas Mawson, the Australian explorer, left some Guinness behind at his base camp, which was discovered by anot Mawson, the Australian explorer, left some Guinness behind at his base camp, which was discovered by another expedition in 1927.

1927 Rupert Guinness succeeded his father, Edward Cecil, as Chairman of the Company.

1929: 2 million pints of Guinness are sold a day. First ever Guinness advertisement with the slogan “Guinness is Good For You” published in the British national press. This was soon followed by advertisements featuring the cartoon characters created by John Gilroy. His famous series of posters of the distraught zookeeper and his mischievous animals carried the line ‘My Goodness, My Guinness’.

Accommodation  Pubs  Eating-Out   Tours  Theatre  Movies

1936 First Guinness brewery outside Dublin built at Park Royal, London.

1950 5 million pints of Guinness enjoyed every day

1955 First Guinness Book of Records was published.

1959 Draught Guinness first introduced.

1962 First Guinness overseas brewery outside the British Isles was opened in Nigeria. Breweries in Malaysia, Jamaica, Ghana and Cameroon followed.

1988 Draught Guinness in a can launched, using a widget to recreate the creamy surge. Won the Queen’s award for technological achievement in 1991.

1999 Guinness Draught in Bottle launched.

2000 Guinness Storehouse, Home of Guinness, opened to the public.

2008 10 million glasses of Guinness are enjoyed in over 150 countries around the world.

2013 Guinness remains a premium product that is sold in most countries around the world, yet millions of overseas travellers come to Ireland each and every year to enjoy Guinness in its natural habitat, there is no Guinness like Guinness sipped in the surrounds of the sea and landscapes of Ireland’s shores, complimented with fine Irish food grown in Irish soil that is rich in vitamins and minerals. Many firmly believe that a Guinness a Day will keep the Doctor away.

This entry was posted in Guinness Storehouse Dublin and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.